Cranstons Chili Con Carne
Ingredients (serves 4)
500g steak mince
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, diced
50g Tomato puree
1 red chillies, thinly sliced
2 tsp ground chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 stock cube (beef or veg), crumbled
1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g tins red kidney beans, drained
- In a heavy based saucepan, heat some olive oil over a medium heat and fry the onions and garlic until softened – for about 5 minutes.
- Crank up the heat a touch, add the mince and cook quickly until browned.
Top tip – break down any chunks of meat with a wooden spoon!
- Once browned, add the fresh chilli, cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder, tomato puree and crumbled stock. Give it a mix and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stir once more and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and gently cook for 40 mins, stirring occasionally until the mixture has thickened and become rich.
- Add the kidney beans and ½ fresh coriander. Cook for a further 10 mins uncovered, before removing from heat and adding any extra seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with lime wedges, rice, soured cream and to jazz it up, tortillas.